***This is only a summary, to help with revision, so candidates should ensure they read and understand the entire novel before the exams***
A family of six awaits the arrival of Daddy. While they wait, Bint gives an account of her classroom encounter with her intrusive Social studies teacher, Mallam Salihu, who is known to act as though he knew a bit more about every subject as he will often ask questions outside the subject of discussion. Bint narrates how she genuinely handled a similar occurrence leaving the teacher dumbfounded by her question while the pupils cheered and laughed
Ummi is seamlessly proud of her daughter, particularly, Bint’s intelligent approach to issues and she joins in the discussion right before Omar joyfully announces his admission to study law at the Ahmadu Bello University. As the family gather to celebrate Omar’s success, Omar boasts of his achievement and takes pride in solely overcoming examination challenges and several other entry procedures while seeking admission into the university. Ummi recognises her son’s naivety and tries to enlighten him about the life-changing capability of university admission.
Ummi tells her children how her admission changed her.
Possible questions and answers from this chapter
- How old is Bint?
Bint is five years old (see page 1)
- Which subject is optional in Bint’s school?
French (see page 1)
- How many siblings does Bint have?
Bint has two sisters (see page 1)
- What was the first question Mallam Salihu ask the classroom
He asked them to translate Good morning in French (see page 1)
- Who answered Mallam Salihu’s question?
Bint answered his question (see page 1)
- What question did Bint ask Mallam Salihu?
How do you say ‘’that’s very good in French” (see page 1)
- Who did Mallam Salihu call to answer Bint’s Question?
A senior French Mistress (see page 2)
- Translate ‘’Good morning’’ in French
“Bonjour’’ (see page 2)
- Translate ‘’That’s very good’’ in French
c’est tres bien (see page 2)
- Who often says ‘’what you teach a child is like writing on a rock and when dried, it would be difficult to erase’’
Ummi’s grandmother (see page 2)
- Why does Ummi often enter her children’s room unanounced ?
She does this to ensure they maintain good hygiene by keeping their room clean and to get used to her presence (see page 2)
- Who is Jamila ?
Jamila is Bint’s immediate elder sister and the third child of the family (see page 3)
- What position is Bint in the family?
Bint is the last child of the family (see page 3)
- Who is the first and only son of the family?
Omar is the first and only son (see page 3)
- What is the meaning of the name “Ummi’’ in Arabic
Ummi is translated in Arabic as ‘’ my mother’’ (see page 3)
- Ummi was named after whom?
Ummi was named after her paternal grandmother (see page 3)
- Translate ‘’Goodbye, until we meet again’’ in French?
“au revoir’’ (see page 3)
- Who is Bint’s Social studies teacher?
Mallam Salihu is Bint’s Social Studies teacher (see page 3)
- What do Ummi’s children call her?
“Mummy” except Omar who calls her “Mum”(see page 3)
- What was Ummi’s Occupation?
Ummi use to be a teacher (see page 4)
- Who is Teemah?
Teemah is the second child but first daughter of the family (see page 4)
- How old is Omar?
Omar is eighteen years old (see page 4)
- What course was Omar offered at the university?
Omar was given admission to study law at the Kongo campus in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (see page 4)
- What course did Ummi’s Husband study at the university
Ummi’s Husband read accounting in the university (see page 5)
- What course had Ummi’s Husband wanted to study?
Ummi’s husband had wanted to study Law (see page 5)
- What time does Ummi’s Husband close from work?
He closes from work at five o’clock (see page 5)
- Where does Ummi’s Husband work?
He works at the only bank in the community (see page 5)
- How did Omar want to be referred to by his siblings?
“My learned brother” (see page 5)
- Who suggested they all go outside and why?
Jamlia suggested they all went outside because there was no power supply and it was getting hot and stuffy inside. (See page 6)
- What reward was Omar expecting from his dad for his achievement?
Omar was expecting a Phone (see page 6)
- What was Omar JAMB score?
Omar scores 230 out of 400 in the matriculation exam (see page 9)
- Who offered to pay for the Zobo drinks?
Ummi offered to pay (see page 7)
- Who went to buy the Zobo drinks?
Teemah went to buy the drinks (see page 7)
- Who asked Ummi to tell them a story?
Bint asked Ummi to tell them a story (see page 7)
- Who calls Omar William Shakespeare?
Teemah, after Omar uses the idiom “no means a small feat” (see page 8)
- How long did the family have to wait for the arrival of daddy?
Two to three hours (see page 8)
- What does “’no means a small feet” implies?
Omar made this statement and it means “a laudable triumph of great difficulty’’ (see page 8)
- How many credits did Omar get in his WAEC?
Omar scores seven credits including Mathematics and English in his first attempt. (See page 8)
- Why did Omar have to wait for two days before checking his admission status?
Omar had to wait because he did not have a smartphone, unlike his friends. (See page 9)
- How did Omar check his admission status?
Omar had to go to a cyber café to check his admission status. (See page 9)
Leave a Reply